You can narrow down long results lists further with the help of filters. The following filters are available in the left section of the results list:
- Time: Shows only the results whose date falls within the entered period. Depending on the search request, this can pertain to the time of creation of a work or item, the year of launch, the time period, etc. Years in B.C. are entered with a “-“, e.g. “-1000” for 1000 B.C. The restriction works as follows:
- In case of the “Extended” selection, objects whose date falls within the searched period either partially or completely are displayed. For instance, when searching for “1870-1871”, objects from 1869/1870, 1870s or the 19th century are also displayed.
- In case of the “Exact” selection, only objects whose date falls exactly within the searched period are displayed. For instance, when searching for “1870-1871”, only results from exactly these years are displayed. In such a case, objects from 1869/1870, 1870s or the 19th century are not displayed.
- Location: Shows only results that relate to the selected locations. This could be the location of a monument, the birthplace or place associated with an artist, the place where a document is kept, etc.
- Person/organisation: Shows only results relating to selected people or organisations. These could be the creator or publisher of a work, an author, painter, photographer etc.
- Keyword: Shows only results that relate to the selected keywords.
- Language: Shows only results where the original or the information held in the Deutsche Digitale Bibliothek are in the selected languages.
- Media type: Shows only results of the selected media types, e.g. videos and audios.
- Sector: Shows only results from the selected sectors, e.g. only results from archives and cultural heritage preservation.
- Data provider: Shows only results that are provided by the selected cultural and scientific institutions in the Deutsche Digitale Bibliothek.
To set filters:
(1) Click the category you want, for example Location.
You can now select filter terms which occur in your search results.
(2) Click the filter term you want, for example München.
The results list will now contain only results which match the filter.
(3) You can select additional filter terms by clicking Add filter.
The list of filter terms may cover several pages. Click Next to page forward or Previous to page back.
To reduce the list of filter terms:
You can reduce long lists of filter terms by entering part of the term you are looking for in the input field. You will then only have filter terms containing your input to choose from.
To restore all the filter terms again, delete your input.
To remove filters:
- To remove an individual filter, click the remove icon "x" next to the filter term.
- To remove all filters, click Remove all filters.
Bear in mind when combining multiple filters:
Filter terms from different categories can narrow down the results list further. Filter terms from the same category will extend the results list.
Example: By selecting Sector > Museum, you are restricting the results list to museum objects. If you additionally select the 20th century in the Time category, you are narrowing down the results still further: Only museum objects from the 20th century will be displayed. If you add the 21st century, you are extending the results list to museum objects from the 20th and 21st centuries.